If your AC system stops working in the middle of summer, you’ll definitely want to take some quick steps to try and address the issue before it becomes a bigger problem. Here are a few tips for emergency AC repair that may help get your system up and running again. Keep in mind that if the problem is more serious, you’ll need to call in a professional technician to help get things back on track. But these tips can at least get you started until they arrive.
- Check the power source: The first thing you’ll want to do is check to make sure that the AC unit is plugged in and receiving power. If it’s not, then that’s likely the reason why it’s not working.
- Reset the breakers or replace the fuse: If the AC unit is plugged in but still not receiving power, the next step is to check your home’s breaker box. If a breaker has been tripped, simply reset it and see if that does the trick. If not, you may need to replace the fuse.
- Check for clogged air filters: Another common reason why AC units stop working is that the air filter is clogged. This can happen over time as the filter collects dust and debris. To clean a clogged air filter, simply remove it from the unit and rinse it off with water. Let it dry completely before putting it back in place.
- Inspect the coils: Take a look at the evaporator and condenser coils to see if they’re dirty. If they are, use a soft brush to gently remove any debris.
- Check the thermostat: In some cases, the problem may be with the thermostat itself. If it’s not set correctly, the AC unit won’t kick on. So, take a look at the thermostat and make sure it’s set to “cool” and the temperature is turned down below the current room temperature.
- Add more refrigerant: If the AC unit is low on refrigerant, that can also prevent it from working properly. You’ll need to call in a professional technician to handle this task, as adding refrigerants is not something that should be attempted by a novice.
- Check for leaks: Another potential problem is that there may be a refrigerant leak somewhere in the system. Again, this is something that will require the assistance of a professional technician.
Emergency AC repair can be a challenge, but hopefully, these tips will help you get your unit up and running again in no time. And, if the problem is more serious, don’t hesitate to call in a professional for assistance. They’ll be able to diagnose the issue and get things back on track quickly.
At Comfort Masters, we understand how important it is to have a functional air conditioning system, especially during the hot summer months. That’s why we offer 24/7 emergency AC repair services in Metairie, LA. No matter what time of day or night it is, our team of experienced technicians will be there to help get your AC unit up and running again. Contact us today at 504-914-5607 to learn more.